Friday, December 11, 2009

WILL NEST IN ANY TREE

As Mae Sarton considered leaving her home to join a community of elders she wondered about her two cats, Tamas and Bramble. Would they be welcome? Would she find herself depressed by being surrounded by "old people"? I've lived in two pet friendly elder complexes. In Park Rapids I had sweet Sam. there were plenty of rules but we managed to stay out of trouble. Then Sam, my 15 year old mini dachshund got heart/kidney failure and was euthanized. At White Earth I had Max who was a bit on the wild side. He barked excessively and jumped on the other residents. So I had to give him up to a pet adoption agency in Grand Rapids. Now I have a very large dog named Cinnamon Bodacious Bodine.
As for having so many elders in one place there is a down side but it can be quite delightful, too. Many good friendships can be enjoyed and there's always something to do. I think I am the kind of bird that can nest in just about any tree.
MaryO, "Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment