Monday, December 14, 2009

SNOW ROSES

"When despair for the world grows in me/ and I awake in the night at the least sound/ in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be/ I go and lie down where the wood drake/ rests in his beauty on the water and the great heron feeds./ I come into the peace of wild things/ who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief./ I come into the presence of still water./ And I feel above me the day-blind stars/ waiting with their light. For a time/ I rest in the grace of the world and I am free." Wendell Berry.
Today I went for a 10 block walk. I passed a flower shop and in the snow were many roses. Some had been pulled apart and multi colored petals were strewn along the snowy walk way. I stepped around the bruised beauties and walked on wondering if this happens daily. Farther along I saw a tiny woman with a yellow shovel standing aside for passers-by. I asked if she had shoveled half a block of snow. Her eyes sparkled above a full smile. "Yes," she told me. "Not all at once. I went inside to rest three times." I said, "That's a big job for a small woman!" We laughed together and then went our separate ways.
"We have given Gaia (Mother Earth) a fever (global warming) and soon her condition will worsen to a state like a coma." James Lovelock. He also said that Earth is self-regulating and will have to save herself however that might affect the rest of us. I know Earth will continue without us if necessary. Rich people don't seem to care because they believe they will be able to purchase tickets to new planets. But we must adapt to catastrophic change. Will the guardians who have witnessed our destructive conduct from another galaxy intervene? We can't be sure.
On Dec. 4, 2004, I had prepared a rabbit stew for my supper. When I sat down to eat I was surprised to find Larry Cloud Morgan seated across from me. He was sucking rabbit bones and burping. He told me how nice it was to visit me on a cold winter night and find a delicious bowl of soup waiting for him. He appeared to me by the power of fantasy and now the visit has grown into a precious memory. You see Larry had gone to the other side in June of 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment