Sunday, January 31, 2010

OUR GENEROUS EARTH

Emma Goldman, "...the lives, blood and money of the American people (taxes) were used to protect the interests of American capitalists." Joe Hill, "Work and pray, live on hay. You'll get pie in the sky when you die." Helen Keller, "Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does it mean? We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee." Eugene Debs, "The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles." Trudell, "Economies war citizen whores political pimps." Considering Gandhi Sarton wrote of "the kind of courage that nonviolence demands when pitted against physical assault." Embedded in her consciousness was the fact "that one man can change the world, a single man of vision."
Several years ago I had two gracious friends, Bernard and Lucille. They were great white geese. Bernie and Lu were two of the most intelligent, sensitive and loyal friends that have ever blessed my journey. What we lacked in language was compensated for by the ability to express in body the voice of the soul. Mary O, "The earth is full of interest, artistry and generosity."
It happened one day when I was still a teen that I'd wandered into the forest and after walking far I sat down to rest. It was a cold day in the fall and soon there would be snow. I've always loved to lie against the earth so I was soon sprawled beneath a dark pine. Tired as I was... I went to sleep. When I opened my eyes huge, lazy snowflakes were floating out of the heavy sky. I saw a small movement which materialized into a rabbit. More small movements became rabbits. Soon I was lying in the new snow surrounded by wild rabbits! They nibbled leisurely at the last of the good greens around me. When I moved, they moved and suddenly I was alone. I walked home in my tattered coat more regal than a queen and more rich than Joe Kennedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment