Friday, October 2, 2009

LADY HUMMINGBIRD

Today while I was watching the final episodes of Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" Cedar came running to me screaming, "I saw a hummingbird!" I was surprised as I thought they had all left for warmer climes. But she showed how the wings fluttered. With her hands she drew a long beak before her face. I could not doubt. I asked if it had a red throat. "No," Cedar said. "Well, it was Lady Hummingbird... come to say goodbye." She ran back into the room where she'd seen the bird near the window and shouted, "Goodbye, Alicia." So the bird has become Lady Alicia Hummingbird. and we expect to see her next spring. I think we were somewhat affected by the Russian drama. Cedar had watched it intermittently and I'd identifed some of the characters and tried to explain their roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment