Wednesday, May 26, 2010

GOOD SPIRITS WILL GUIDE

As I sit here considering how I will invest this day fat pigeons plunge and rise at the window. Their broad wings quill the air and soft cooing gentles the morning. A large yellow butterfly flutters past. A phoebe calls her name and a blackbird opens his rusty hinge throat to reply.
Some words gleaned from my reading today. The contrary Mark Twain advised, "Put all your eggs in one basket and... watch that basket!" The angry Virginia Woolf declared, "Literature is impoverished beyond our counting by the doors that have been shut upon women."
I am listening to Michael Blake read his novel, "Dances With Wolves". I've read the book and seen the movie but the voice of the author makes the story a living event. It seems that Blake entered #8 and found me wanting. He removed his shoes at the door, sat down and said, "Now I will tell you my story." How intimate it becomes. You can't imagine how exciting it is to participate in Dunbar's experiences. I feel myself at his side and I am not embarrassed at his nakedness when he encounters Kicking Bird for the first time and later, Wind in His Hair. But I do wonder why Blake chose to present him naked. Perhaps to define his vulnerability or to expose his whiteness.
When I opened my e-mail I found a poem Faith Fjeld had written to me concerning an event I plan to attend in July.
We'll be looking for you by moonlight
as well as throughout the day.
Your good spirits will guide
as they sit by your side
so nothing can stand in your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment