Saturday, August 15, 2009

RASPBERRY RAIN

I walked to the end of Bob's woodland airstrip where I found plenty of raspberries for breakfast. The long grass had been combed by wind and brushed by rain. It parted as neatly as Cary Grant's hair as I stepped along. Plenty of deer steps, too. There was also bear sign. Lots of crushed bushes and some big poops. Naturally I sang my best making friends with bear songs and filled my bowl without incident. Is there anything more beautiful or fragrant than a gathering of wild raspberries? It was cloudy and cool with a nice breeze. Afterwards I filled the trunk of the car with bark of split birch. It will help keep my winter fires going. It rained most of the afternoon Ann, Kitty and I spent the day inside watching movies from Netflix. "Holiday", a romantic comedy with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn; "The Scarlet and the Black" a drama with Gregory Peck and Christopher Plummer. The rain fluctuated between sprinkle and deluge. At times Crystal Lake was scarfed in mist and sometimes great long-legged ghosts danced the riffled surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment