Saturday, November 28, 2009

PRISMATIC LENSES

The plate of ice has grown. While we slept it crept to the warm side of the Crystal. The beaver bay did not freeze over and the shore is fringed with black water. It will not support a large dog so we will not be on ice today. But I do want to do something to celebrate the arrival of the cold spirits. Last night we went to Walker to see the parade. We gathered the candy that was flung into the street. Ann will take it to Emerson School where she teaches second grade students. My favorite parade personality was the H1N1 woman. She was so enthusiastic as she distributed small bars of soap. Her sandwich board warned us to wash our hands, cover our sneezes and stay home if we don't feel well. The Lucky Moose gave caps but I didn't get one. Then Ellie gave me hers. Later I found that it had been Ann's cap. Karen Schulz was denied a gift because they were reserved for kids. Ellie Slette and Karen Wilson left us at Walker and went home to Crosby. Ann had her picture taken with Santa, we picked up two more pies and hurried home to what we would do. Some played cards, others games and I watched "Casablanca" on the pc.
In the morning we gathered lakeside for African tea, Roberto made a fire and we took glamor photos . I made an ice lens and we all posed with it.
Then we gathered pine cones to dip in wax. I started the project but decided I didn't really have much to do so I went inside to write my blog. Katie Trotzky invited us to a hot tub event but I declined and watched "Into the West" with the guys.
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Life is a train of moods and as we pass through them they prove to be many-colored lenses which paint the world their own hue and each shows only what lies in its focus." Surely it is somewhat like the magic glasses that Cedar likes to look through. Those prismatic lenses change the world into slices and hues of lights. However small the glow it transforms them into the magic that can carry a child into those true mysteries too deep for a grandmother cannot explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment